I know, I know, you can buy vodka sauce in a bottle, but once you try this recipe you’ll never be able to turn to the bottle again.
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium shallot, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
¾ cup vodka
29 oz. (about 3½ cups) canned tomato sauce
1 cup heavy cream
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
1 box penne, cooked according to package instructions
1. In a medium saucepan, heat butter and olive oil over a medium flame.
2. Add onion and shallot and sauté until translucent. Add garlic.
3. Lower the flame, then add vodka and tomato sauce. Cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add heavy cream, Parmesan cheese and basil. Stir to combine.
5. Toss with hot penne to serve.