4 tablespoons margarine or Crisco, melted and cooled (you can sub any type of oil, but the Crisco really gives it that “Southern” authenticity)
1 cup Bisquick baking mix
1½ teaspoons paprika
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Dry chicken very well with paper towels. Let sit on the counter for 10-15 minutes after taking out of the fridge.
2. Preheat your oven to 400°F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and insert rack that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
3. Melt the Crisco and let cool down completely in a bowl.
4. Mix together the Bisquick mix and all the spices; separate into two paper plates.
5. Take each chicken leg and coat it in the first plate of Bisquick mix. Try to really get the entire chicken coated well with the mix.
6. Then gently (can use tongs) dip the coated chicken in the melted Crisco on all sides.
7. Now dredge the chicken once again in the second plate of Bisquick mix and lay the coated chicken on the baking sheet rack.
8. Repeat with all the chicken.
9. Bake in oven for 35 minutes. Rotate baking sheet and bake for another 20-25 minutes, till chicken is completely cooked and you have a nice crispy coating.
10. Serve with a salad or French fries, or both.