“My sister Tamar brought this salad to our family Chanukah get-together this year, and it was polished off to the bottom of the bowl.” —Elky
1 sweet potato, diced
1 small eggplant, cubed, salted, rinsed, and dried
12 ounces baby bellas, cubed
1 red onion, cut in thin round slices salt and Italian seasoning, for sprinkling
12-16 ounces romaine lettuce
Parmesan cheese, for sprinkling
¾ cup light mayonnaise
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1½ tablespoons Truvia (or the sweetener of your choice)
1 tablespoon mustard
1 garlic clove, crushed
½ teaspoon salt
2½ tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Prepare two baking sheets by lining them and spraying with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the diced sweet potato and eggplant on one baking sheet. 3. Place baby bellas and sliced red onion on the other baking sheet. 4. Spray both trays with nonstick cooking spray, and sprinkle with salt and Italian seasoning.
- Bake sweet potato-eggplant tray for 30 minutes. Bake mushroom-onion tray for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing. Combine mayonnaise, vinegar, soy sauce, Truvia, mustard, garlic, salt, and Parmesan cheese.
- In a large bowl, toss the roasted vegetables with the romaine lettuce. Add the dressing. Toss again. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.
Yields: 6 to 8 servings
You can also make a pareve version! Use Tofutti sour cream to add some of that dairy flavor to your dressing instead of the Parmesan. To serve on Friday night, roast the vegetables ahead of time and keep in an aluminum pan in a warm spot. Toss with romaine and dressing when ready to serve.