Citrus- and Chili-Marinated Steak Tacos with Lime Slaw
This is my new go-to first course on Shabbos. The meat is juicy and seasoned with a fusion of Asian and Mexican flavors. The plate is layered with warm or toasted corn tortillas, followed by rustic lime slaw, then layered with the marinated and grilled steak and topped with guacamole and tomatoes. Bright and beautiful flavors, stunning presentation, and a memorable taste. Sorry, fish tacos, these steak tacos are my new BFF.
½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons canola oil
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
2 large cloves garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 (2-pound) minute steak roast or hanger steak (about 1½ inches thick)
Lime Cabbage Slaw
4 cups mixed coleslaw (mixed shredded purple and green cabbage or a blend of your choice)
1 cup shredded carrot
1 scallion, sliced
Zest of 1 lime
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
¼ cup reserved marinade (above)
12 6-inch corn tortillas
Homemade or store-bought guacamole
1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1. For the steak: In a large baking dish, whisk cilantro, brown sugar, canola oil, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, crushed red pepper, black pepper and coriander to blend well. Reserve ¼ cup of the mixture in a small bowl for the slaw. Place steak in the remaining marinade and turn to coat. Marinate for at least 20 minutes at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day, turning occasionally. Cover and refrigerate the reserved marinade.
2. Heat grill pan or outdoor grill over medium heat. Remove steak from the marinade (discard the marinade) and grill, turning halfway through cooking, for a total of about 10 minutes, until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 130°F for medium-rare or 140°F for medium. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes.
3. For the slaw: In a small bowl, whisk reserved marinade, lime zest, lime juice and mayonnaise. Stir in slaw and mix.
4. For the tacos: Heat tortillas on the grill, turning occasionally, for about 1 minute, or heat on a warming tray or in the oven until hot. Transfer to a serving bowl and cover to keep warm.
5. To serve: Cut steak across the grain into ¼-inch-thick slices. Place a warm tortilla on each individual plate. Put about ¼ cup slaw in center of each tortilla, followed by 2 slices of steak. Top with guacamole and cherry tomatoes.