1 large cabbage head
1½ pounds chopped meat
½ cup uncooked rice
1 medium onion, grated
1½ tablespoons ketchup
½ teaspoon salt
1 (46 oz.) can tomato juice
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 cup water
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup lemon juice
½ teaspoon salt
Dash onion powder
- Freeze the cabbage two or three days in advance of actually making the stuffed cabbage. Remove from freezer to defrost at least 5 hours before making into rolls. The leaves will become soft and flexible.
- Separate the head into individual leaves and check each one and rinse.
- Make the filling. Combine ground meat, rice, grated onion, egg, ketchup, and salt.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of the filling mixture onto each leaf, near the base.
- Fold base of leaf over filling and roll once. Then fold the sides of the leaf into the center so that you enclose the meat. Continue rolling until you have a completely closed roll.
- Prepare the sauce. Combine tomato juice, tomato sauce, water, brown sugar, lemon juice, salt, and onion powder in a large pot. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add cabbage rolls carefully, one by one, into the sauce.
- Lower heat and let the rolls cook for 1½ hours.
Yield: 18 cabbage rolls
shortcut: A trick I learned after years of making this recipe…stuffed cabbage comes out just as good baked in the oven! Combine all ingredients for the sauce in a large disposable aluminum pan and place the cabbage rolls into the pan. Bake at 350⁰F for 1½ hours and voilà—stuffed cabbage, rich and tasty! And no big pot to clean!