These French cookies, also known as elephant ears, are light, crisp, sweet, and very elegant.
1 sheet frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
1 tablespoon + ¾ teaspoon granulated sugar, divided
1 teaspoon canola oil
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. On the cookie sheet, unfold puff pastry dough and brush with oil. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar evenly over the dough.
3. Starting at one short side of the rectangle, roll the pastry toward the center of the sheet, stopping in the middle. Repeat with the opposite short end, so that the rolls meet. Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon sugar.
4. Place cookie sheet in the freezer for 15 minutes. Remove from freezer, cut ½-inch slices, and place flat on baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Reshape the dough if necessary. Sprinkle with remaining ½ teaspoon of sugar.
5. Bake until golden and puffed, about 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack.
Yields 16 cookies.