This one’s exciting! What we’ve got here are bars that have a soft, gooey, rich layer of snickerdoodle cookie dough that’s topped with sweet, cinnamony apple slices. And then the apple slices are topped with more of that delicious snickerdoodle cookie dough. Easy and dairy-free, these snickerdoodle apple bars have quickly become one of my favorite new apple desserts.
½ cup oil
½ cup light brown sugar, packed
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1¼ cups packed flour
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
2 large, tart apples
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
½ heaping teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line an 8 x 8-inch square baking dish with parchment paper, leaving some excess hanging over for easy removal later.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil and sugars until smooth. Vigorously whisk in the egg and vanilla extract until smooth again.
- Pour dry ingredients onto the wet and mix everything together until just combined. Spread a little over half the dough in a thin layer in the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Set rest of dough aside.
- Peel and slice the apples into thin wedges. Add slices to a medium bowl and toss with the rest of the apple mixture ingredients, until apples are evenly coated. Spread apples in an even layer over dough in the baking pan.
- Drop clumps of the remaining dough over the apples. Flatten and spread the clumps out so that the majority of the apple slices are covered with dough.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and cinnamon coating. Sprinkle it all over the top of the dough.
- Bake bars for 28-32 minutes, or until golden brown all over. Let bars cool completely before lifting out of pan by the excess parchment paper and slicing into 16 bars.
Yield: 16 bars