When you think dairy and fried, you think mozzarella sticks. Want to skip the breading process? Eggroll wrappers give you all the crispiness without the mess.
1 (8-ounce) brick mozzarella cheese or 12 mozzarella string cheese sticks
12 eggroll wrappers
Oil, for frying
1 recipe Garlic Marinara Sauce (see below)
- If you are cutting a brick of mozzarella cheese, cut cheese into strips, no thinner than ¼-inch thick.
- Working with one eggroll wrapper at a time, place a mozzarella stick near the bottom corner of each wrapper (keep remaining wrappers covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use). Fold bottom corner over cheese. Roll up halfway. Fold sides toward center over cheese. Moisten remaining corner with water; roll up tightly to seal. Repeat with remaining wrappers and cheese. You can keep these frozen until ready to fry fresh.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan. When oil is hot, add sticks and fry for 30 to 60 seconds on each side, or until golden brown (oil must be hot enough to fry these quickly).
- Serve mozzarella sticks alongside Garlic Marinara Sauce.
Yield: 12 mozzarella sticks
Garlic Marinara Sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 to 8 garlic cloves, crushed
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (16-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
11/2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until golden, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomato sauce and whole tomatoes, and stir.
- Stir in basil, oregano, garlic powder, sugar, and pepper. Let simmer for 30 minutes.
Blend until smooth using an immersion blender.