1 cup diced Spanish onions
4 cups diced pastrami
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
4 spring roll skins
Oil, for deep-frying
Barbecue sauce, for garnish
8 cherry tomatoes on the vine
4 garlic cloves, minced
Salt, to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste
1. In a skillet, sauté the onions until soft. Add the diced pastrami and cook until crisp. Add the salt and pepper. Drain the liquid and let cool.
2. Divide the pastrami mix among the 4 spring roll skins. Gather the corners of each skin together and secure with aluminum foil.
3. In a saucepan, heat the oil for deep-frying. Deep-fry the beggar’s purses until golden brown and crispy.
4. Roast the tomatoes: Drizzle the cherry tomatoes with the olive oil and sprinkle with the garlic, salt, and pepper. Roast in a 400°F oven until the tomatoes blister.
5. Serve the beggar’s purses with the roasted tomatoes on the side and a drizzle of barbecue sauce, if desired.
Yield: 4 servings