To make this dough in advance, pile the oval-shaped raw dough with parchment paper between each and freeze. When ready to cook them, remove from the freezer and try to separate the doughs on a flat surface. Once they are fully thawed you can go ahead and cook them.
9 cups sifted flour
1 heaping tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons dry yeast
3 tablespoons olive oil
5 cups water
Additional olive oil for brushing
Handful of fresh thyme, rosemary or zaatar
10 garlic cloves, sliced
Kosher salt, for sprinkling
1 can pitted olives
2 garlic cloves
½ cup olive oil
1. Add flour, sugar and salt to the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk to combine.
2. Add the yeast and olive oil (not touching each other), and slowly add water while mixing on medium speed until fully combined. (Note: The dough can be made by hand as well.) The dough will be quite runny.
3. Generously brush the top of the dough with olive oil and cover with Saran Wrap. Let it rise for 30 minutes to an hour until doubled in size.
4. Knead the dough to release the air bubbles and cover for another half hour until doubled in size.
5. Spread lots of flour on your work surface before putting the dough down. Add additional flour over the dough and use a large knife to divide the dough into 12 equal parts.
6. Use your hands to spread and shape the dough into ovals (in the air), then place each on a small piece of parchment paper. You can perfect the shape with your fingers.
7. Brush each bread generously with olive oil, then scatter sliced garlic and fresh herbs at random, as well as the salt.
8. Heat a large skillet (without oil) over medium heat and put the dough, with the parchment paper, into the pan and grill until lightly golden brown and the top of the dough starts to harden (approximately 5-7 minutes). Flip and grill the other side until golden and crisp. You can have more than one bread in the pan at the same time.
Note: Keep an eye on the bread so it doesn’t burn.
1. For the olive tapenade, blend olives and garlic until desired consistency (chunky or smooth).
2. To serve, put the olive tapenade in a small dish and cover with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.