2 tablespoons canola oil
1½ tablespoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons coarsely cracked black pepper
2 tablespoons margarine
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ cup minced shallots (2 large shallots)
12 ounces cremini mushrooms, stemmed and sliced into ¼-inch pieces
1 garlic clove, crushed
3 tablespoons flour
1½ cups chicken broth
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
¼ cup nondairy creamer
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Heat a large (10-inch) skillet over high heat for 5 to 7 minutes. Pat the filets dry with paper towels and brush all over with canola oil. Combine the kosher salt and coarsely crushed black pepper on a small plate and roll the filets on the top, bottom, and sides in the seasoning, pressing lightly to coat. When the skillet is very hot, add the filets and sear evenly all over (top, bottom, and sides) for about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer the steaks from the skillet to a sheet pan (set the skillet aside) and place in the oven for 8 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven, cover the sheet pan tightly with aluminum foil, and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the margarine and oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and sauté until golden. Add garlic and mushrooms, and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes, until they release their juices. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until the mushrooms are cooked through.
- Add flour; stir until smooth. Gradually add 1½ cups chicken broth, stirring constantly until thickened. Sprinkle with kosher salt and black pepper, to taste. Add ¼ cup creamer and stir until well-incorporated.
- Spoon the mushroom sauce around the filets and on top, and sprinkle each plate with parsley. Serve hot.