4 cups medjool dates, pitted and chopped
3 cups boiling water
3 teaspoons baking soda
1¼ cups (2½ sticks) margarine
2 cups brown sugar
3 cups self-rising flour
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Grease two Bundtlette pans (8 mini Bundts per pan).
- Place dates, water, and baking soda in a bowl. Soak for 10 minutes.
- Place margarine and sugar in a food processor and blend to combine.
- Pour the date mixture (with the water) in the food processor and process until well combined. Add eggs, flour, and cinnamon and process until just combined.
- Divide the mixture into the prepared pans. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove cakes from the pan while still warm and transfer to a cooling rack.
Yield: 16 cakes
Red Wine Chocolate Glaze
16 ounces chocolate (at least 60% cocoa)
½ cup (1 stick) margarine
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 cup red wine (preferably a light fruity wine)
- Heat chocolate, margarine, and salt in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring until chocolate and margarine are melted, about 5 minutes. Whisk in confectioners’ sugar.
- Meanwhile, bring wine just to a boil in a small pot.
- Remove chocolate mixture from heat and whisk in wine; let cool until slightly thickened and a rubber spatula leaves a trail in mixture when stirring, 8–10 minutes. Set cakes on a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle glaze over cakes and let them sit 2 hours at room temperature until the glaze has set.
Oven Dried Pears
- Preheat oven to 225ºF.
- Thinly slice pear into 16 slices. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and place in the oven for 1½-2 hours until dry and browned. Store in an open container.
2 (14-ounce) cans coconut milk
Sugar, to taste (optional)
- Store coconut milk in the fridge overnight.
- Scoop out the separated thick cream into the bowl of an electric mixer (discarding the clear liquid).
- Using the whisk attachment, whip cream on a medium speed for 2 minutes, or until soft peaks form. Transfer cream to a piping bag and store in the fridge.
For Dessert Assembly
1 recipe date cakes
1 recipe red wine chocolate glaze
1 recipe dried pears
1 recipe coconut cream
- Plate each date cake and drizzle with the hot sauce. (If prepared in advance, drizzle the cakes with glaze as soon as the cakes are cool. Alternatively, re-warm sauce and pour over cakes prior to serving.)
- Pipe some coconut cream in the hole of the Bundt until it forms a nice puff of cream on top and insert a dried pear as garnish.
Yield: 16 desserts