Welcome your guests by starting off the meal with a hot salad. This one is quick, easy, and delicious. Frying the chicken skins is a great way to add crunch to the salad.
16 ounces romaine lettuce
10-ounce package cherry tomatoes
1 recipe mushroom teriyaki sauce (see below)
1 recipe fried chicken skins (see below)
- Combine the lettuce, tomatoes, and skins in a bowl and drizzle with mushroom sauce.
Yield: 8 servings
Mushroom Teriyaki Sauce
2 tablespoons oil
1 red onion, sliced into half-rings
8 ounces mushrooms
½ cup teriyaki sauce
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
- Add oil and red onions to a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Add mushrooms and cook for another 4 to 6 minutes. Slowly add remaining ingredients and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
Fried Chicken Skins
½ pound chicken skins
salt, for sprinkling
pepper, for sprinkling
1½ cups oil
- Rinse the chicken skin and fat, pat dry, then chop into small, 1½-inch pieces.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add oil to a medium pot and heat until it’s hot enough for frying. Add chicken skins and fry until golden and crisp, approximately 10 to 15 minutes. Be careful not to burn them.
How to Duplicate This Plate
Chanie tells us how to achieve the look in the photo:
Place some romaine lettuce in a bowl.
Add some mushroom sauce to the center of the bowl.
Place the tomatoes and fried chicken skin around the edge, creating a symmetrical pattern.