4 tablespoons unsalted margarine or canola oil
3 medium leeks, white and light-green parts only, sliced thinly crosswise
2 medium onions, halved and sliced thinly
2 teaspoons kosher salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ cup brandy
¼ cup dry white wine
1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
8 cups water
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
½ cup marsala wine
1 teaspoon light brown sugar
2 cups sliced mushrooms
½ cup WayFare Dairy Free Sour Cream
1 tablespoon finely chopped chives,for garnish
Drizzle of truffle oil, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, heat the margarine or oil. Add the leeks, onions, salt, and pepper, and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in the brandy and white wine, and boil until nearly evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and water, and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until the potatoes are very tender, about 35 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, prepare the glazed mushrooms. In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and soften for 30 seconds. Add the wine and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat and cook until the wine is reduced to about 3 to 4 tablespoons. Stir in the brown sugar and mushrooms, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- With an immersion blender, purée the soup (you can use a blender, too) until very smooth. Add the dairy free sour cream and bring to just a simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally. Season with more salt if needed.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Spoon the glazed mushrooms into the center of the soup. Garnish with the chives and truffle oil.
Yield: 8 servings