This was my mother’s brainstorm years ago, and it’s been with the family ever since! Traditionally, eggplant Parmesan includes breaded and fried eggplant slices among its delicious layers. Here, we bring you our version, with the eggplant slices coated and baked. It’s so delicious, you won’t even miss the fried part! —Elky
2 medium eggplants, peeled and sliced in rounds
1 cup cornflake crumbs
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 (26-ounce) jar marinara sauce
7 ounces farmer cheese, crumbled
8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Prepare 2 baking sheets by lining them and spraying with nonstick cooking spray.
- Peel and slice the eggplants into ½-inch-thick rounds. Sprinkle with salt. Let sit for 5-10 minutes to remove the natural bitterness of the eggplant; then rinse.
- Meanwhile, combine cornflake crumbs, garlic powder, and salt in a shallow plate or bowl. Dab wet eggplant slices on a paper towel to dry, then dip in cornflake mixture to coat and place on baking sheet. Spray with cooking spray and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and lower temperature to 350ºF.
- In a 9 x 13-inch baking pan, layer two layers of marinara, eggplant, farmer cheese, and shredded mozzarella. On top of the two layers, top with an additional layer of eggplant, marinara, and shredded cheese. Bake 40 minutes, covered.
Yields: 10 servings