These bars are a healthier—and much richer—take on your average chocolate chip bars. These soft, chewy bars are 100% whole-wheat, contain no refined sugar, and use almond butter to replace the traditional butter or oil. Which isn’t to say that the bars taste healthy at all; they don’t. They’re soft, rich, chocolatey, and addictive. And they might even taste better a day or two after they’re made!
1 cup natural almond butter
1 cup coconut sugar (or ¾ cup packed brown sugar)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
½ cup whole-wheat flour
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup chopped chocolate (or chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line an 8 x 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving some hanging over.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the almond butter and sugar until a smooth mixture forms.
- Mix in egg and vanilla extract until smooth. Next, stir in flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix in chocolate.
- Spread mixture evenly in prepared baking pan. Bake for 20-23 minutes, or until edges are just golden.
- Allow bars to cool completely before lifting them out of the pan by the overhanging parchment paper. Slice into bars of desired size.
Yield: about 18 bars
* Whole grains and protein in a bar, with no refined sugar…could it get any better?
* Dreamy almond flavor and oozing chocolate