If you like classic bagels with cream cheese and lox, you’ll definitely love this recipe. A hot toasted flatbread is topped with melted cream cheese, smoked salmon, capers, cashews and some fresh dill. Mmmm…there’s a party going on in my mouth.
1 cup warm water (115°)
1 teaspoon dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
4 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing
½ teaspoon salt
3 cups flour
8 ounces J&J Cream Cheese
1 10-ounce package smoked salmon
2-3 teaspoons capers
¼ cup roasted cashews
Fresh dill, to taste, about 3 tablespoons
- In a medium bowl, combine the warm water, yeast, and sugar. Let sit 5 minutes until the yeast is foamy.
- Add the flour, olive oil, and salt, and mix to combine. Knead for 2 minutes. (Do not allow the dough to overheat.)
- Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let sit in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Preheat a grill pan to medium heat. On a lightly floured surface, divide the dough into 4 equal pieces and roll out each into a ⅛-inch-thick oval.
- Lightly brush one side of each round with olive oil and grill for 2 minutes, oiled side face down. Brush the side that’s face up with olive oil and flip the dough. Place 3 to 4 dollops of cream cheese around the grilled side of the flatbread. Grill for approximately 2 more minutes, until cooked through and the cream cheese is heated and somewhat melted.
- Top with smoked salmon, capers, cashews, and dill, and serve immediately.
Yield: 4 flatbreads