Impress guests and family with this easy layered dessert for any occasion! I love to use Mason jars for a rustic look, but these trifles can also be served in a fancier glass. The crunchy cookies, smooth, creamy pumpkin mousse, and sweet whipped cream make every bite mmmm-worthy! —Sara
If you bake a full batch of the gingersnap cookies, you will have extra crumbs.
You can buy gingersnap cookies in your favorite store; I prefer to make my own. You can eat them as is or store them crushed in a container in your freezer for an easy dessert garnish. I also love to incorporate them into my fruit crumbles. (See pear gingersnap crumble recipe).
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
¾ cup (1½ sticks) margarine or butter
1 cup sugar
¼ cup molasses
Pumpkin Cream Cheese “Mousse”
1 (8-ounce) container Tofutti cream cheese (or dairy cream cheese)
1¼ cups pumpkin purée
¾ cup confectioner’s sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
Store-bought whipped cream or nondairy whipped topping (beaten until stiff)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices in a bowl, and mix.
- In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix margarine and sugar until very light and fluffy. Add egg and beat until smooth.
- Add in half of the dry ingredients, the molasses, and then the remaining dry ingredients. Roll into balls and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the surface has cracked and the cookies are firm to the touch. Let cool, and crumble in a large bag.
- Prepare the mousse. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine cream cheese, pumpkin purée, confectioner’s sugar, and cinnamon.
- To assemble, sprinkle gingersnap crumble into cups or jars, pipe in pumpkin cream cheese, and top with nondairy whipped topping. You can create as many layers as you like, but finish with the whipped topping and some crushed cookie crumbs for garnish.
Yield: Approximately 3 (16-ounce)