1 cup sugar
1 heaping tablespoon vanilla sugar
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 (16-ounce) bag frozen strawberries, partially defrosted
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
16 ounces nondairy whipped topping
1 container strawberries, washed and checked, thinly sliced (orpremium frozen strawberries, sliced)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare 2 9-inch round pans by spraying them with nonstick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat eggs for 10 consecutive minutes on high speed. This will give them a real lightness; it will be hard to believe you didn’t separate them.
- Once the eggs are fluffy, add sugar, vanilla sugar, flour, and baking powder. Mix until combined.
- Pour into prepared baking pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Check doneness with toothpick before removing from oven.
- Meanwhile, prepare the strawberry sauce: In the food processor, using the S blade, combine partially defrosted strawberries, water, lemon juice, sugar, and vanilla sugar. Blend until smooth.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat nondairy whipped topping until stiff.
- To assemble: Make sure the cake is fully cooled. On top of one cake, add a thick layer of whipped cream, a layer of sliced strawberries, then another layer of cake, another layer of cream, and more sliced strawberries.
- Pour strawberry sauce over cake when serving, either right before cutting or as you serve each individual piece. A delicious show-stopper!
Yield: 8 to 10 servings