“Rubeh is the Arabic word for beautiful cut of meat. We always serve this on Rosh Hashanah” —Aliza
4-pound veal breast pocket, bone in, slit open to make a pocket (ask your butcher to do this)
2-4 cans desert truffles, rinsed and drained (avail-able at Middle Eastern groceries) or 3 pounds fresh button mushrooms, cleaned
Salt and allspice, for sprinkling
2 tablespoons oil, plus additional for drizzling
⅓ cup medium grain rice, rinsed and dried
¾ pound extra lean ground beef
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
- Prepare the filling. Combine ground beef, rice, cinnamon, allspice, oil, and salt in a bowl and mix well. Stuff veal pocket loosely with filling.
- Season outside of veal pocket with salt and allspice. Drizzle with oil. Massage seasoning all around the veal pocket.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. When oil is hot, add veal and sear for 5 minutes per side, being careful not to let the filling come out.
- Transfer veal pocket to a slow cooker. Add truffles or mushrooms. Sprinkle with an additional teaspoon of salt, allspice, and a tablespoon of oil.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours. Slightly uncover slow cooker and cook for an additional hour to allow the pocket to brown.
- Let cool and transfer to a platter. Serve truffles or mushrooms around the meat. Pour some of the cooking liquid over the meat and truffles and serve.
Yield: 8-10 servings