¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
⅓ cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1½ cups packed flour
⅓ cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon cornstarch
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1¼ cups chocolate chips/chunks
⅔ cup chopped, good-quality chocolate (optional)
Flaky salt, for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oil and sugars. Add in the egg and vanilla extract and mix vigorously until smooth.
- Pour flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt over wet ingredients and mix everything together until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips last.
- Round large pieces of dough between palms and space out onto baking sheets. Bake cookies for 10-11 minutes, or until tops are cracked and you can just lift the edge of a cookie with your hand.
- Let cookies sit on sheets and firm up for about 15 minutes before dipping into melted chocolate (Step 6).
- Melt the chopped chocolate and then either dip each cookie halfway into melted chocolate, or spread melted chocolate over half of each cookie with a spoon or small spatula. Sprinkle with flaky salt if desired.
Yield: about 30 medium-large cookies
Chocolate lovers, rejoice! These cookies really pack in the chocolate flavor with cocoa powder, chocolate chunks, and a melted chocolate topping. Flaky salt provides the perfect salty and sweet contrast, but if you’re not a fan, just
skip it. And you can even skip the melted chocolate topping too if you’d like. These soft and easy chocolate cookies are sophisticated enough for the adults and chocolatey enough for the kids.