Freeze: Yes. These freeze beautifully. Keep them well wrapped.
To Serve: Do not defrost. Just heat them up uncovered on a greased baking sheet in oven until they turn crispy (make sure to flip them midway through the baking time).
Serve: Hot or at room temperature
½ cup olive oil
1 pound bag frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
3 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
7 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (20 count) box frozen phyllo dough, defrosted overnight in the refrigerator
2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Using your hands, squeeze most of the water out of the spinach and place it in a bowl. Add eggs, feta, salt, and pepper and mix together.
- Keep phyllo dough sheets covered with a damp kitchen towel.
- For each cigar, unfold 2 sheets of the phyllo dough. Cut sheets into 4 squares. Separate sheets. Brush sheets with melted butter, one at a time, and stack until you have an 8-layered square.
- Spoon about 2-3 tablespoons of the spinach mixture into a sausage shape along one edge of the phyllo dough. Roll it up. Brush the top with butter. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place cigars on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.
Yield: 9-10 cigars