For the Mashed Potatoes
approximately 7 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
3-4 tablespoons margarine
For the Meat
4 tablespoons canola or olive oil
2 large onions, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 pound ground beef (or a combination of ground beef and ground chicken)
4 tablespoons tomato paste
¼ cup water
1 teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ tablespoon hot paprika
¼ cup chopped parsley (optional)
- Cook potatoes in boiling water for about 1 hour, until soft.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add onion and garlic, and sauté until golden brown. Add beef and continue frying, breaking up the clumps of meat with a fork or spoon.
- When the meat changes color, add tomato paste, water, sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, and parsley, and mix well. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When potatoes are soft, drain water. Add margarine and salt, and mash to a creamy consistency with no lumps.
- Pour the meat mixture into a Pyrex or ceramic dish or a 10-inch-round disposable baking pan. Spread mashed potatoes on top. For a decorative touch, the mashed potatoes can be piped with a piping bag fitted with a fluted tip. Bake for 30 minutes.
Yield: 1 large pie or 6 to 8 mini individual pies