We know that during these winter months, all you really want is bread. Soft pillowy cheesy bread, to be exact. When we were recipe testing, we froze half the dough for a later date. That later date ended up being…the next morning. Oops. They were that good. Go ahead and wash! You can thank me later. —Sara
4½ cups bread flour
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons rye flour
1 tablespoon instant dry yeast
3½ cup water
2 tablespoons salt
1½ tablespoons sugar
1½ tablespoons molasses
1½ tablespoons canola oil
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 medium onion, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil, for sautéing onion
Egg, for brushing
Caraway seeds, for sprinkling
- Combine the flours and yeast in a large bowl.
- Pour water, salt, sugar, molasses, and canola oil in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment. Mix until combined. Slowly add flour mixture and mix on low speed for 4 minutes. Increase the mixing speed to high and mix for 4 additional minutes.
- While the dough is mixing, sauté onion in olive oil until softened, 2-3 minutes.
- Add cheddar and sautéed onion to dough and mix for 2 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the bowl, form into a large ball and transfer to a bowl. Let rise for 45-60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425⁰F. Divide dough into small balls. Place in a baking pan, cover, and let proof until the dough springs back lightly to the touch, about 45 additional minutes. Score the rolls down the center, brush with egg, and sprinkle with caraway seeds. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
Yield: Approximately 18 rolls