1½ sticks margarine
½ cup confectioners’ sugar
Zest of ½ lemon
1 generous pound of very
thinly sliced apples
2 tablespoons sugar
1½ tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons jam, any flavor (I used strawberry-blueberry)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Oil or line a 9-inch round pan or 5 (4-inch) springform pans.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine flour, margarine, confectioners’ sugar, lemon zest, and eggs. Mix until smooth. Pour ⅔ of the batter over the base of the pans.
- Arrange sliced apples on top of the batter and sprinkle with sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, and then dot with the jam evenly over the top.
- Dot the remaining cake batter by teaspoon all over the apple/jam filling,
- Bake for 10 minutes. Open the oven and carefully smooth batter roughly over top of cake to fill in any gaps. Bake an additional 45-50 minutes until golden brown.
Yield: 1 large or 5 small cakes (serves 10-15)
Honey Whiskey Ice Cream
16 ounces Rich’s Whip
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
4 teaspoons whiskey
3 tablespoons honey
In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat eggs until fluffy. Add Rich’s Whip and continue to beat until stiff. Slowly add in confectioners’ sugar, whiskey, and honey. Freeze overnight.
Yield: serves 10-12