When we first began serving quiches, Chef Konditor was crazy about his masterpieces, but some people said, “They’re too European, not for the Yankee palate.” It took a few months until this product became one of Bagels N Greens’ most popular dishes (both in the stores and at personal and corporate events). There’s no event without an assortment of quiches!
4 ounces (1 stick) butter
1 tablespoon water
1½ cups (7 ounces) flour
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon sugar
Royale (egg sauce)
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
3½ ounces sour cream
salt, to taste
pinch black pepper
1 garlic clove, crushed
30 (¼-inch) cubes salmon
4 asparagus spears, boiled
- Prepare the dough. Add butter to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat butter until fluffy and creamy. Add egg and water, and beat until combined. Sift in flour, salt, and sugar. Mix until dough forms.
- Wrap dough in Saran Wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and roll as thin as possible (1/10 of an inch) on a floured surface. Cut dough circles using a cookie cutter (we used one with a fluted edge). Place circles in a muffin pan. Now dough is ready for filling.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare the royale. In a bowl, combine eggs, cream, sour cream, and all seasonings. Whisk together.
- Place 5 salmon cubes in each cup. Divide asparagus and shallots among cups. Pour royale sauce over filling. Bake for 25 minutes.
Yield: 6 mini quiches