5 to 5½ cups flour
2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast (1 packet)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for greasing
2½ cups cold water
1 pound cherry tomatoes, halved
Kosher salt, for sprinkling
Coarse black pepper for sprinkling
1¼ cups extra virgin olive oil
1½ cups peeled garlic cloves
2 tablespoons rosemary leaves
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
Zest of 1 lemon
Grated Parmesan cheese
Torn basil leaves
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine all dough ingredients. Mix until dough is smooth. It will be a little sticky. Transfer to a greased bowl, cover with a clean towel, and let rise for 20 minutes.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces. Press each piece into a square and knead, folding it over itself. Let rest 20 minutes and fold the dough again.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 300ºF. Toss tomatoes with salt and pepper and place cut side up. Roast for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine olive oil, garlic, rosemary, crushed red pepper, and lemon zest in an ovenproof saucepan. Heat over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Transfer to oven and cook until garlic is soft and golden, 35 minutes. Let cool.
- Grease 2 baking sheets. On a piece of parchment paper, roll each piece of dough into a rectangle that’s almost the size of the baking sheets. Place on baking sheets. Let rest 30 minutes.
- Raise oven temperature to 475ºF. Arrange tomatoes and garlic cloves on dough and drizzle with garlic oil. Bake until golden, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with sea salt, Parmesan, fresh basil, and additional garlic oil.
Yield: 16 servings