You won’t even know you’re missing the ﬂour with these fudgy cakes. Only a bit of confectioners’ sugar is needed for garnish, with the chocolate as the star of the show. One bite will have you instantly going back for more.
Oil for greasing the jars
7 ounces bittersweet chocolate
4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter
4 large eggs, separated
1 cup granulated sugar
Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease fourteen 8-ounce jars. In a double boiler over simmering water, melt the chocolate and butter until smooth. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl, use a handheld mixer to beat the egg whites until stiﬀ peaks form. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat together the granulated sugar and egg yolks until thick and creamy. Mix ¼ cup of the melted chocolate and butter into the egg yolks. Continuing to mix, slowly pour the remaining melted chocolate mixture into the egg yolks until all is incorporated. Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Spoon 4 to 5 tablespoons of the cake batter into each greased jar. Place the jars 2 inches apart on a large baking sheet. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the tops of the cakes start to crack.
- Remove from the oven and let the jars cool. Dust with confectioners’ sugar before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 14 individual cakes