This apple kugel is very light and fluffy. I like to sprinkle ground walnuts on top to add crunch and flavor.
4 pounds apples (about 12), peeled, cored, and halved
Ground cinnamon, for sprinkling
6 large eggs
1½ cups honey
1 cup oil
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon baking soda
4 cups almond flour
½ cup ground walnuts, plus ¼ cup extra for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 10 x 16 x 2-inch disposable foil baking pan.
2. Cut apples into ¼-inch-thick slices and spread evenly in prepared pan. Sprinkle apples with cinnamon.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat eggs with salt on high speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add honey and continue beating on high speed for another 3 minutes. Add oil and vanilla extract and mix until well blended. Gently fold in baking soda, almond flour, and ½ cup ground walnuts. Mix briefly to combine.
4. Pour batter evenly over apples. Sprinkle remaining ½ cup walnuts on top.
5. Bake uncovered for 1½ hours. When done, the top of the kugel will spring back when lightly touched with your fingertips. Serve hot or cold.
Yield: 16 servings