Depending on what I have in my fridge, I’ll add other veggies, like diced mushrooms, to my chicken filling. I am also a huge fan of canned potatoes for this recipe. It helps cut the cooking time and is the perfect addition to the filling. Feel free to use raw potatoes, but make sure to dice them small.
1 cup frozen peas or mixed frozen peas and carrots
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 1/2 to 3 cups cold cream of chicken soup (recipe on this page)
1 cup canned whole potatoes, diced (about 1 can)
kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
1 pie crust dough recipe (both discs; recipe on previous page)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a saucepan, combine frozen vegetables and broth. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add soup and potatoes, and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roll dough out to fit your pie plate. Poke a few holes with a fork at the bottom of your crust. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool before filling.
- Pour filling into baked pie crust and cover with another layer of pie crust. (You can also just place pie crust on top. Spray the bottom of the pie pan with nonstick cooking spray if you are not using a crust.)
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until filling is bubbly and crust is a nice golden brown.
Yield: 1 (10-inch) pie